Make it Night to Remember!
Join us on a scenic ride from Muscat to the enchanting Nizwa region. Our first stop will be the iconic Nizwa Fort, a true masterpiece of seventeenth-century architecture. Its circular main tower stands as a testament to the innovation of its time. After a deep dive into the fort’s rich past, we’ll take you away to the bustling Nizwa Souq, where you’ll discover a world of traditional khanjars, intricate handicrafts, and exquisite jewelry. You will also have the opportunity to witness the unique cattle auction if you’re here on a Friday – it’s an authentic experience you won’t forget.
Continuing our journey, we’ll venture to the intriguing remains of Birkat Al Mauz, also known as Birkat Al Mawz or Birkat Al Mouz. Once a hub of thriving banana plantations, this village now offers a poignant glimpse into the lives of Omani villagers of the past. Despite its abandonment for over fifty years, the village structures have remarkably endured, allowing us to step back in time. Situated at the base of Jebel Akhdar (Oman’s Green Mountain), this village is home to the ancient Aflaj irrigation system, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Before we move on to Wadi Al Madreen, join us for a leisurely stroll through the oasis and date plantations.
Our journey continues upwards to Jebel Akhdar, a towering gem at 2,000 meters above sea level. Traverse the lush terrain, unveiling the cool climes that earned it the name “green jewel” of the Al Hajjar mountain ranges. The terraced fruit orchards are a sight to behold, sustained by natural springs and the intricate Aflaj system. From peaches to pomegranates, the bounty is yours to discover.
You will also witness the villages of Wadi Bani Habib, and Al Ain as they fall on our journey, offering the views of awe-inspiring landscapes. During the rose blooming season of March and April, the entire region is filled with the fragnance of the pink roses.
Our tour ends with a Set Menu lunch at a Jebel Akhdar hotel, before returning to Muscat.
Meeting Point: Pick up from your location within Muscat city.
- Depart from Muscat and journey towards the Nizwa region.
- Arrival at Nizwa Fort, a 17th-century architectural marvel.
- Guided tour of Nizwa Fort, featuring its renowned circular main tower.
- Proceed to Nizwa Souq (marketplace) for a quick visit.
- Explore Nizwa Souq’s vibrant atmosphere with traditional khanjars, local handicrafts, and jewelry. On Fridays, witness the captivating cattle auction at Nizwa Souq.
- Continue the journey to Birkat Al Mauz, the “Banana Pool” village.
- Discover the abandoned ruins of Birkat Al Mauz, offering insights into the lives of past Omani villagers.
- Stroll through the village’s intact structures and experience the rich history.
- Admire the ancient Aflaj irrigation system, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Enjoy a pleasant walk amidst the oasis and date plantations.
- Proceed towards Wadi Al Madreen for the next leg of the adventure.
- Next go on a scenic drive along a winding 36km road to Jebel Akhdar.
- Explore Jebel Al Akhdar’s renowned Fruit Orchards, cultivated in step farming or terrace plantation style. Witness the abundant natural springs and Aflaj system that nourish these orchards.
- Experience a diverse variety of fruit trees, including Peaches, Apricots, Figs, Grapes, Apples, Pears, Plums, Almonds, and Walnuts. Learn about the exceptional quality of Pomegranates for which the region is acclaimed.
- Pass by the charming villages of Saiq, Wadi Bani Habib (village of old houses), and Al Ain.
- Lunch at Jebel Akhdar hotel
- Return to Muscat
- English/Arabic speaking chauffeur
- Entry tickets and meal as per itinerary
- Pick up and Drop off
- Personal shopping
- Additional places to visit
Dress CodeWear light comfortable clothing and walking shoes and carry warm clothing for the mountain top.