Qatar’s New Travel Policy: Everything you need to know
Last Updated on by Denise Castellvi
The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) in Qatar has taken a major step forward in protecting the health and wellbeing of visitors to their country. Effective 1st February 2023, all visitors are now required to obtain health insurance before entering Qatar.
As per the announcement, the new health insurance policy is in line with the country’s commitment to providing high-quality medical services to visitors and ensuring their safety and well-being during their stay in Qatar.
It should be noted that this health insurance is one of the key requirements for obtaining a visitor’s visa. The same also applies for those extending the visitor’s visa. Here’s everything you need to know about the new policy:
How can visitors obtain Health Insurance in Qatar?
To obtain Visitors’ Health Insurance in Qatar, follow these steps:
- Apply for a visit visa through the website of the Ministry of Interior (Qatar Visas) or via the Metrash App.
- Once the visa application is complete, you will be directed to the Ministry of Public Health website to purchase insurance.
- Purchase the health insurance policy from one of the insurance companies registered with the MOPH such as: QLM Life & Medical Insurance, AlKhaleej Takaful Insurance, Islamic Insurance, Doha Insurance Group, General Takaful Company, Doha Takaful, Beema, Qatar Insurance Company QIC, or Qatar General Insurance & Reinsurance Company Q.P.S.C.
- Once the insurance policy is issued, the Ministry of Interior will issue the visit visa.
- The insurance coverage will take effect on the date of your entry into Qatar.
- If you need to extend your stay, purchase a new health insurance policy.
Is health insurance required for a visa on arrival in Qatar?
For visitors eligible for on-arrival visas at the border crossings in Qatar, it is recommended to purchase a Visitors’ Health Insurance policy from the MOPH website before arriving at the border crossings of Qatar. This ensures a smooth process at the airport, land, or seaports.
What is the cost of the Health Insurance Policy for visitors in Qatar?
The cost of the health insurance policy for visitors in Qatar varies depending on factors such as the visitor’s age, length of stay in Qatar, and the type of policy purchased. Visitors are advised to compare the costs and benefits of different insurance policies and choose the one that best suits their needs and budget.
How much should you pay for the health insurance premium?
The cost of the Mandatory Visitors’ Health Insurance policy is QAR 50 per month and is valid for a period of 30 days. However, visitors have the option to purchase additional coverage (Top-ups) with extra premium amounts that are determined by the insurance companies.
The Health Insurance Policy covers the following:
- Emergency medical treatment: Up to QAR 150,000 for the policy period and within the State of Qatar.
- Emergency medical assistance: Includes ambulance transportation within the State of Qatar and medical evacuation to the individual’s country of residence with a sub-limit of QAR 35,000.
- COVID-19 and Quarantine: Sub-limit up to QAR 50,000 for Covid-19 treatment and up to QAR 300 per day for quarantine expenses for confirmed cases.
- No waiting period is required.
- Repatriation: In case of death, the cost of repatriation is covered up to QAR 10,000.
- No copayment or deductibles are required for any covered services.
Validity of the Health Insurance Policy
The basic insurance policy for single-entry visas in Qatar typically expires upon the individual’s departure from the state via any mode of transportation.
There is usually an insurance policy option for multiple-entry visas, which remains valid from the date of entry until the policy’s expiration date.
Here to help
Are you still unsure or short of time for booking your health insurance? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back. If you need assistance obtaining the mandatory health insurance visa, kindly send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team members will be in touch shortly.
Leave a Reply: