From Taqa to Bin Ali, unraveling Dhofar’s Ancient Tales
This day tour will take you on a journey of discovery as we explore the alluring fishing village of Taqa. This ancient town boasts a captivating castle surrounded by watchtowers and the charming Taqa stone houses that seem to hold secrets from centuries past.
But that’s just the beginning of your adventure! Prepare to set your sights on the mesmerizing Khor Rori creek, a place steeped in history as the site of the ruined city of Samhuram and the thriving capital of ancient Arabia’s legendary frankincense trade. Digging deep into the earth, archaeologists have found evidence of an ancient city with bustling trade links stretching all the way to the exotic Far East and even distant Greece.
Hold onto your hats as we venture further into the fascinating past of Dhofar. Mirbat, the ancient capital of this vibrant land, once stood as a thriving town as early as the 9th century. It was a bustling hub of trade, witnessing the exchange of precious frankincense, horses, and yes, even slaves. As you explore, you will have the chance to marvel at the old houses renowned for their intricate wood carvings, transporting us back to a time when craftsmanship was treasured and celebrated.
If the stars align and luck favors, you might witness something truly extraordinary – the arrival of boatloads of fish into the bustling harbor.
And oh, let’s not forget about one of Dhofar’s most revered historic sites – Bin Ali’s Tomb. This awe-inspiring twin-domed structure serves as the final resting place of Mohamed bin Ali, who peacefully departed this world in 1135 AD. It’s a masterpiece of medieval architecture that will leave you in awe of the talent and vision of the craftsmen of yore.
Your journey comes to a close as you make your way back, traversing the picturesque Ayn Razat.
Keep in mind that the journey via Ayn Razat is available on Thursdays and Fridays only.
Meeting Point: Pick up from your location within Salalah
- Depart from your starting point
- Arrival in Taqa, the charming fishing village
- Explore Taqa’s ancient castle and watchtowers
- Discover the secrets of Taqa’s historic stone houses
- Explore the ruined city of Samhuram at Khor Rori
- Learn about ancient Arabia’s frankincense trade
- Visit the archaeological site with evidence of trade links
- Continue to the ancient capital of Dhofar, Mirbat
- Explore Mirbat’s old houses with intricate wood carvings
- Chance to witness the arrival of fishing boats in the harbor
- Visit Bin Ali’s Tomb, a masterpiece of medieval architecture
- Return to your starting point via Ayn Razat
- English/Arabic speaking chauffeur
- Entry tickets as per itinerary
- Pick up and Drop off
- Personal shopping
- Additional places to visit
Dress CodeWear comfortable clothing and shoes